Posts Tagged ‘ladies footwear’
March 26th, 20100
Shoes were designed to keep our feet warm and dry and to stop us from treading on things that might cause us pain. The very first shoes were simply designed to protect the wearers’ feet from the harsh terrain, therefore a thick sole was strapped to the foot with leather thongs and here was born the flip-flop, although we’re sure they didn’t call it that in Egyptian times! Since these early designs the shoe was developed to be more protective in different climates and so shoe boots were created and this was the beginning of the evolution of the shoe.
Now, if we were creatures of practicality, we would probably still be wearing flat, practical footwear that protected our feet, but where’s the fun in that? We have different eras to thank for the wide array of footwear now available and footwear trends change just as fashion trends do;
- 1930s – Women wore dance shoes in the evening as revealing the toes during the day time in the 30s and 40s was considered immodest.
- 1940s – The first wedge heels were used and footwear remained elegant and embellished for the evening.
- 1950s – Small heeled court shoes and embellished evening shoes with an increasing heel height were real 50s glamour.
- 1960s – Shoes became more fun and experimental and there was more of a juxtaposition of styles; Dr. Martens for example compared with the knee high platform Biba boot.
- 1970s – Disco heaven; glittery sandals, platforms and wedges for both men and women define this shoe era.
- 1980s – Enter the killer court shoe that was to become a staple in any working woman’s wardrobe these courts often had interesting heel details too.
- 1990s – Diamante heels, stilettos and the return of wedges, thanks to The Spice Girls, denim wedges were all the rage at this point! Platforms also became popular again and espadrilles for the holiday season.
- 2000s – Gladiator sandals, killer heels, flat pumps in every colour under the sun and biker boots defined the last decade, so what shoe trends can we expect to see making a return in 2010 and beyond?
- 2010 – As shoes trends make their return, notably brogues, wedges, platforms and thigh high boots this decade so far, we truly are spoilt for choice!
The reason women love shoes is simple, they’re fun, we can have a pair to go with every outfit and they make us feel fabulous! So guys what would you rather have a closet that you can fit your golf clubs in, or a happy lady?